The research includes, but is not limited to, studies of infectious disease transmission, antimicrobial effectiveness, vaccine challenges and pharmacokinetics
The Clinical Research Unit is a 5 400-square foot, state-of-the art in-patient and out-patient research facility located in the IWK Health Centre in Halifax. This clinical unit is available for in-patient or out-patient research.
- Preparation of ethics/regulatory submissions
- statistical and data management support
- nursing support for in-patient and out-patient data collection
- protocol-specific interventions
- full hospital services from the IWK Health Centre
Specialized labs and equipment
· 10-bed inpatient unit with single isolation rooms
· examination room
· nurses station
· meeting room
· HEPA filtered air exhaust & negative-pressure rooms
· controlled access
Infectious diseases/Microbiology lab
4°C vaccine cold room: clean cold room dedicated for storing vaccines and similar products (placebo)
-80°C ULT freezers, -30°C freezer, 4°C re-agent cold room, 4°C fridges,
Nitrogen tank: refrigeration/freezing equipment specifically designated for samples (whole blood; serum; PBMC isolates; breast milk; NP specimen; urine), bacterial and viral strains, nucleic acid extracts, cell lines, re-agents at different stages (before, during, after processing according to protocol).
Biological safety cabinets:
· Clean work hoods: for PBMC harvesting, cell culture and other sterile work
· Non-clean work: infecting cell cultures, bacterial cultures
Bench top centrifuges: serum separation, PBMC harvesting
Roche MagNa Pure Extractor: Total nucleic acid (TNA), DNA or RNA extraction from samples or virus and bacterial culture
PCR workstation/hood: setting up PCR assays; setting up extraction re-agents
ABI 7500 Thermocycler
Bio-Rad C1000 Thermo Cycler (x2)
Incubator, CO2 incubator
Various types of liquid handling equipment (pipettes, repeater pipettes, automatic multi-channel, etc)
Basic lab equipment (eg. scale, vortex, spectrophotometer)
Private and public sector research partners
- Baxter Canada Inc.
- Roche Canada Inc.
Canadian Center for Vaccinology