Trace and ultra-trace analysis of high purity conductive and semi-conductive materials.
The Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometry (GD-MS) facility at the National Research Council of Canada’s Metrology Research Centre holds accreditation from the Standards Council of Canada, meeting the stringent standards of ISO/IEC 17025. With an impressive track record of over three decades of continuous operation and constant measurement improvements, the GD-MS facility excels in the analysis of conductive and semi-conductive solids. It proudly serves Canadian and international clients, delivering accurate and timely inorganic mass spectrometric analysis that aligns with the expectations of a world-class ISO/IEC 17025 accredited National Metrology Laboratory.
At the heart of the facility are highly skilled and experienced scientists who excel in the application of custom GD-MS analysis to challenging or novel materials. The facility has garnered global recognition, particularly for its ability to analyze impurities from the percent range down to sub-parts-per-billion levels. The GD-MS technique is used for the direct analysis of solid materials, eliminating the need for traditional analytical methods that involve sample dissolution. The GD-MS facility has validated methods for more than 50 different matrices, including 19 critical minerals identified within Canada.
Services offered by the GD-MS facility include:
- Up to 60 elements at standard detection level: 10 scans are carried out across the spectra of the elements to be determined. This offers sufficient detection capability for most samples.
- Up to 60 elements at enhanced detection level: enhanced detection limits are achieved by acquiring additional scans across the spectra of the elements to be determined. These detection limits are recommended for samples of very high purity (6N purity or higher).
- Up to 30 elements at enhanced detection level: enhanced detection limits are achieved by acquiring additional scans across the spectra of the elements to be determined. These detection limits are recommended for samples of very high purity (6N purity or higher).
- Custom analysis (including samples in powder form).
- Aerospace and satellites
- Chemical industries
- Clean technology
- Defence and security industries
- Environmental technologies and related services
- Healthcare and social services
- Manufacturing and processing
- Mining, minerals and metals
Specialized labs and equipment
Material Characterization laboratory
Thermo Fisher Scientific VG 9000 Glow Discharge Mass Spectrometer (2)
Elemental impurities analysis.
Standards Council of Canada Scope of Accreditation.