Explosion-proof high-pressure hydrogenation lab featuring three Hastelloy corrosion-resistant stirred batch reactors
- Homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis in batch reactors under extreme conditions.
- Conversion of biomass derived substrate (sugar derivatives, pyrolysis bio-oil) to value-added products by through hydrogenation and hydrodeoxygenation (HDO) reactions.
- Quantitative analysis of complex reaction mixtures by GC, GC-MS, IR, NMR.
- Kinetic, thermodynamic and statistical analysis of complex catalytic reaction cascades.
- Remediation and valuation of bauxite residues (“Red Mud”).
- Lab-scale catalytic hydrogenation reactions (25-250 mL reaction volume) at temperatures ranging from ambient to extreme conditions (up to 450 °C and 340 atm of hydrogen pressure).
- Sampling from these reactions at temperature and pressure.
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of these samples.
- Data processing and (statistical) analysis of results from these analyses.
- Design of experiment studies.
- Chemical industries
- Clean technology
- Energy (renewable and fossil)
- Manufacturing and processing
- Mining, minerals and metals
Specialized Labs and Equipment
Parker Autoclave Engineers 100 or 300ml (switchable), Hastelloy C-276 High Temperature Bolted Closure Reactors (3)
The reactors enable (hydrogenation) reactions at under extreme conditions, e.g. in super-critical water and/or under high hydrogen pressure.
• 5,000 psi maximum pressure.
• Metal seal ring for 510ºC maximum temperature.
• MagneDrive rated for 3,000 max rpm, 16 in/lbs torque, Dispersimax Impeller, Purebon 658RCH bearings, 1/2 HP, 90 VDC XP motor, IS speed sensor.
• The reactors have a sample tube with air op valve and manual metering valve, vent with manual valve, sparge tube with manual valve.
• The reactors have a 7,500 psi gauge and 10,000 psi pressure transducer.
• Mass flow controllers capable of measuring hydrogen consumption of the reactions at temperature and pressure (up to 1,500 ± 2 psi or 4,500 ± 5 psi).
• Temperature will be controlled by a Type-K process thermocouple, Type-K external thermocouple and a 120 VAC purgeable electric furnace.
Private and Public Sector Research Partners
- Rio Tinto ALCAN
- Los Alamos National Laboratory (USA)
- Federal University of Lavras, Department of Chemistry (Brazil)
- Institute for Chemicals and Fuels from Alternative Resources (ICFAR)
- Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics (DICP) (China)
Research Group Website (Publications)